MGCOOL Explorer 2C
MGCOOL just released a new action camera, their top-of-line product. MGCOOL Explorer 2C is their first camera to offer a touch screen, and with a pre-sale price of 99 USD it is probably the cheapest action camera offering this feature. MGCOOL announced a real 4K camera Explorer 2 a while ago, but even this cam looks like it, it’s not a real 4K camera. Let’s take a look at the specs and its competition:
Video Resolution & Frame Rate:
- 4K – (3840 x 2160) – 24 fps (interpolated)
- 2K – (2560 x 1440) – 30 fps
- 1080p – (1920 x 1080) – 60 / 30 fps
- 720p – (1280 x 720) – 120 / 60 / 30 fps
.mp4 format, .h264 codec.
Max. photo resolution is 20 MP, which is upscaled from the 12 MP sensor. File format is .jpg.
Up to now MGCOOL Explorer Explorer 2C seems to be similar to Explorer 1s. Major difference is the 2″ touch screen. One feature of the touch screen is exposure correction. Similar to your smartphone you can press and move the lever up/down to set exposure correction to improve your shots. Menu looks pretty similar to YI 4K Action Camera.
The battery got a capacity of 1050mAh which lasts for 90 min. video recording in 1080p.
microSD card support for cards up to 64GB; Class 10 is recommended.
Connectivity & Ports:
You can connect Explorer 2C camera to MGCOOL App (available for iOS and Android). There seems to be a new App as the website currently says: App coming soon.
On the side of the camera you’ll find microUSB & microHDMI port
as well as microSD card slot.
Mic-in via USB is not available due to the microUSB port.
MGCOOL Explorer 2C is available in black and orange.
Dimensions & Weight:
Weight: 55g camera;
Dimensions: 59 x 41 x 29mm, so same size as Explorer series cameras.
MGCOOL Explorer 2C packaging includes a waterproof case, camera bracket, clip, USB cable, bicycle mount, helmet mount, adaptor and manual.
- Explorer 2C features image stabilisation (EIS).
- An optional accessory is an external GPS Receiver. Currently I don’t have info how the data is stored and how it can be displayed. Seems it is connected via micro USB port.
- Another optional extra is a remote control
Which are the competitors of MGCOOL Explorer 2C? I think there are 3 (groups) of cameras:
- SJCAM SJ6 Legend – also offers interpolated 4K with touch screen, but at a higher price tag.
- 4K cameras (without touch screen), but similar price: Firefly 8S or Thieye T5 are a bit more expensive, but offer real 4K, hence no touch screen.
- Similar Specs cameras (without touch screen): Firefly 7S and even their own Explorer 1s are competitors, similar specs, but without touch feature. They are cheaper if you don’t need that feature.
|MGCOOL Explorer 2C||MGCOOL Explorer 1S||SJCAM SJ6 Legend||Firefly 8S|
|Sensor||12 MP Sony|
|12 MP Sony|
|16 MP Panasonic|
|12 MP Sony
|Processor||Novatek NT96660||Novatek NT96660||Novatek NT96660||Ambarella A12|
|FOV selection||yes||yes||yes||90° or 170° version|
|4K Resolution||24 fps (interpolated)||24 fps (interpolated)||24 fps (interpolated)||30 fps (real)|
|2K Resolution||30 fps||30 fps||30 fps||max. 60 fps|
|HD 1080p||max. 60fps||max. 60fps||max. 60fps||max. 120fps|
|HD 720p||max. 120fps||max. 120fps||max. 120fps||max. 240fps|
|Display||2" touch screen||2" screen||2" touch screen||2" screen|
|Battery||1050 mAh||1050 mAh||1000 mAh||1200 mAh|
|Remote||yes (optional)||no||yes (optional)||yes (optional)|
|Ports||microUSB, micro HDMI||microUSB, micro HDMI||microUSB, micro HDMI||microUSB, micro HDMI|
|A/V out via USB||no||no||yes||yes|
|Mic in via USB||no||no||yes||yes|
|Dimension||59 x 41x 29mm||59 x 41x 29mm||59 x 41 x 21mm||59 x 41 x 21mm|
|Mounts & Case||included||included||included||included|
|Price||99.99 USD||58.99 USD||127.20 USD||119.99 USD|